My current research interests involve Industry and Social Impact Leadership and Entrepreneurship, semantic (ontology based) software engineering, semantic (ontology based) analysis of classical texts such as Quran and Hadith, Project Based Learning and other alternatives to conventional learning. [This requires update]
- Industry and Societal Impact of Leadership, Management and Entrepreneurship Research Group
- Ontology and Business Analytics Research Group at IoBM
- Semantic Software Engineering using Ontology
- Alternative Approaches to Conventional Education
- Ontology Based Analysis of Classical Texts
- Leadership, Motivation and Vision
- Software Engineering Research
- Supervised Completed Research
Industry and Societal Impact of Leadership, Management and Entrepreneurship Research Group
- Increasing the relevance of the research to industry and societal issues
- Leadership styles and their relevance to local environment
- Sustainability of Social Advocacy and NGOs
- Sustainable entrepreneurship aligned with community aspirations
- Marketing and advertisement relevance to societal issues
The goal of this research group is to promote industry and societal relevance of the research being conducted by the business researchers. There is a general trend in Pakistan to pick a few models from research papers and merge them and introduce a few new variables and claim originality and significance. Objective of this research group is to firmly root the research into problems relevant to the practitioners.
- M. Azeem Qureshi
- Junaid Ansari
- Kanwal Gul
- Omar Javaid
- Marium Mateen
Ontology and Business Analytics Research Group at IoBM
To integrate ontological research with business analytics research
To link the research activities and experiential learning activities into a virtuous cycle that creates impact on industry
To develop an integrated knowledge base of business research conceptual frameworks and the research data
To be able to identify gaps in business research through analysis of literature survey.
To develop a framework for enhancing, refining and expanding complementary research.
To enable sharing and communication of research conducted by previous generations of researchers in related fields.
The goal of this research is to develop a foundation for creating a research related impact on industry and society by linking teaching, experiential learning of students, industry interaction, research knowledge creation, faculty development, executive training in a virtuous cycle of continuing refinement.
The repository would also be used to study the synergies of such repositories with the business analytics data that is now becoming increasingly available on the net.
The research group is developing a knowledge-base consolidating the repository of research and experiential learning done by students and their MPhil/PhD research and its continuous refinement and extension through the faculty research and publications. The data obtained from the industry is further refined through specific industry interventions. The combined analyses of the data in such repositories helps the industry through specially directed surveys to be published regularly.
Dr Irfan Hyder
For further updates: Click here
Semantic Software Engineering using Ontology
We are currently researching the development of business information systems using ontology based software engineering concepts.
We are exploring design specification of business systems with ontology data and reaping the leverage from this meta data for testing, configuration management, data warehousing, and other software engineering tools.
Ontology guided editors is one of the areas of concentration.
Alternative Approaches to Conventional Education
In line with the learning by doing approach, we are researching alternative environments to conventional schooling by making changes and experimenting at the university and the school level.
We are actively researching alternatives to conventional schooling structures such as age-based/duration based classes, classification of knowledge under arbitrary subject boundaries, list of concepts based curriculum, traditional class room environments, lecture based teaching etc by implementing the concepts of project based learning (PBL), holistic learning, and multiple intelligence at various educational levels.
L2L Academy is an ongoing research platform for the school level application of such theories. At KIET , the applied research included the following projects:
Intrapreneurship Model in Higher EducationChange management related to the introduction of Project Based Learning in College of Management, College of Computer Science and College of Engineering.Social Advocacy Projects for motivating the students by changing their hearts and minds. Development of a culture of entrepreneurship
Students are working on the following projects:
Reality of ADHD in Schools Reducing Maths Anxiety through PBL apprachesDevelopment of a PBL Science Curriculum for PakistanPBL Lesson PlanningApplication of Modern Reading Approaches in the Pakistani Environment
Ontology Based Analysis of Classical Texts
We are working on the analysis and research of the classical texts when they are represented in the form of ontology. Opportunities of resolving conflicts and inconsistencies in the interpretation of classical texts is in progress.
Omar Ahmad, Irfan Hyder, Rizwan Iqbal et al. “A Survey of Searching and Information Extraction on a Classical Text Using Ontology-based semantics modeling: A Case of Quran”, Life Science Journal, Vol 10, No. 4, 2013
Rizwan Iqbal (2011) Ontology Development for Sufism Domain. In Fourth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2011): Machine Vision, Image Processing, and Pattern Analysis.
S. Irfan Hyder, S. Ghazanfar Ahmad, “Towards a Database Oriented Hadith Research Using Relational, Algorithmic and Data-Warehousing Techniques” in Al Saqafat-ul-Islamia (Islamic Culture), Quarterly Journal of Shaikh Zayed Islamic Center for Islamic and Arabic Studies, University of Karachi, Vol. 19, 2008
Leadership, Motivation and Vision
How to make the students and faculty design their lives around visions that extend beyond their life. These visions often translate in to visionary organizations that are “Built to Last” and can survive over thousands of years. Research is progressing in to governance structures, leadership frameworks and legacies of great leaders and how can these be followed by everyone.
L2L Academy is an ongoing research platform to test the theories and principles of motivation using intrinsic sources of motivations where we are researching in the management structures necessary for making the following aspiration of Iqbal a reality:
Hur fard hay millat kay muqaddar ka sitara.
Impact of visions of schools on their long term performance is under study with several MBA and MPhil level research projects.
S. Irfan Hyder, “Industry-Academia Collaboration Through Final Projects of Engineering Programs,” International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering Education, CETEE 2007, Islamabad, Dec 27-28, 2007
Software Engineering Research
We feel that software engineering of business applications is still in a primitive stage and would greatly benefit from the use of semantic data.
Supervised Completed Research
Following research supervised and mentored as part of the PhD and MS Management Sciences:
[To add names, links, and details. There are papers in collaborations: WIP]
- Dr Omar Javaid
- Dr AR Aleemi
- Dr Safeena Yaseen
- Dr Azeem Qureshi
- Dr Mohammad Yasir
- Dr Junaid Ansari
- Dr Romana Khokhar
- Dr Asima Zahid
- Dr Sufyan Ramesh
- Dr Tayyaba Faseeh
- Dr Bilqees Ghani
- Dr Fahad Abdullah
- Ms Kanwal Gul
Following research supervised and completed by students as part of the MS Thesis Research requirements:
- Mohammad Asif Inam. [HEC PhD scholar in France], “An Intervention Based Empirical Model to Develop Core Values of TQM in TEAMS”. [Got one year exemption for this research in France], KIET, 6 Jul 2003 to 17 Aug 2005
- Imran S. Bajwa. [HEC PhD Scholar in Portugal], “PCA Based Image Classification of Single Layered Cloud Types”. [Directly admitted to PhD in Portugal on this work also published in proceedings of an International Conference], KIET, 27 Jan 2003 to 20 Aug 2004
- Amina Khalfe, “Derivation of Initial Data Warehouse Structure by mapping operational database on Transaction Patterns”, [Published in proceedings of an International Conference], KIET, 27 Jan 2003 to 24 Jan 2005
- Shazia Batool, “RT-Gaia: Extending Gaia Methodology to Employ Requirement Traceability” [Published in proceedings of the National Research Workshop], KIET, 27 Jan 2003 to 20 Aug 2004
- Shams ul Arfeen, Performance Evaluation of MANET Routing Protocols Using Scenario Based Mobility Models”, [Published in proceedings of an International Conference], KIET, 11 Feb 2004 to 11 Jun 2006
- Shiraz Ali Bhatti, “Extending the Range of Bluetooth Piconets by IP Tunneling”, [Published in an International Conference], KIET, 16 Sep 2002 to 6 Jun 2005
- Tahir Ali, “Enhancements in PPP MP for UMTS-All IP Architecture to Improve the QoS” [Published in an International Conference], KIET, 16 Sep 2002 to 6 Jun 2005
- Maqsood Razi, “Seniority Based key Distributed Authentication Scheme in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” [Published in proceedings of an International Conference], KIET, 16 Sep 2002 to 6 Jan 2005
- Maria Mahar Shaikh, “Transmission of video with caching mechanism and retransmission of I-Frame”, [Published in proceedings of an International Conference], KIET, 5 Sep 2003 to 17 Aug 2005
- Rizwan Iqbal (2011) Ontology Development for Sufism Domain. In Fourth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2011): Machine Vision, Image Processing, and Pattern Analysis.